A while back, I talked about trying to work farro into the family diet. So far so good, and here’s another example.
I’m certainly not the first to pair eggs and asparagus. I don’t even do it that often. But, I had both on hand, as well as some prepared farro. Always a fan of one pot/pan meals, I decided to put them all together. Turns out, the combination is great for starting your day with protein, fiber and anti-oxidants. Better yet, it’s easy (especially if you have some farro or other grain already prepared).
- Olive/grape seed oil
- 4 stalks asparagus, ends trimmed and sliced into 1″ lengths
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup or so prepared farro ( I make mine with a little minced onion and cilantro – no salt)
- 2 quality eggs
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Heat half a tablespoon or so of the oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the asparagus and green onion. Saute to desired softness.
- Add in the farro, heat and mix with vegetables.
- Crack in the eggs, scrambling them with veggies and grain.
- When eggs are cooked to your preference, dish ‘em up! I like to add some Cholula on top, though I imagine any hot sauce would work.
At some point, I’d like to try this with quinoa, as I’m sure it would be delicious. Generally, if eggs are involved, I’m going to love it.