Last week, I bought a golden nugget squash. Last night, I cooked it.
It was super easy to do, and Iris and I both enjoyed it thoroughly. If you’re looking for a simple, seasonal side that offers some complex flavor, give it a try:
- 1 golden nugget squash, washed
- 2 pats (1/2 tablespoon or so) butter
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Slice squash in half
- Remove seeds and guts (save if you want to roast said seeds)
- Place 1 pat of butter into each half’s cavity
- Sprinkle halves with salt and pepper to taste
- Put both halves in baking dish, cavity up, with about an inch of water
- Cover with foil
- Bake for 35 minutes or to desired tenderness
- Scrape flesh and melted butter into a dish, mix and enjoy!
I threw in some frozen peas, and it was just perfect. Rich and a little nutty, warm and perfect for an autumn night that looks more like winter. This could also be an easy fall recipe to add to your Thanksgiving arsenal.
Stay warm and safe!